Saturday, June 8, 2013

Happy Birthday...

14 years ago this very moment I was sweltering and ornery. It was an unusually hot spring and I was unusually big, even for being 9 months pregnant.  At 4 months along people started sympathizing with me... telling me it wouldn't be much longer... literally feeling sad for me... if that gives you an indication of just how unusually big I was.

We were living with my sister at the time and she lived right on the beach (I know, hard life).  That morning, Caleb and I took a little jaunt down to the water and  I sat on the sand while he played, but then I couldn't get up.  If I remember correctly (why do I remember bad, embarrassing, stupid things but not important things??), Caleb had to pull and I had to roll... it was not pretty.

That evening, Jon and I brought Caleb to eat Chinese food because we heard that Chinese food can cause labor to start.   Following that, we brought Caleb to Toys R Us because we heard that walking can cause labor to start.  I went to bed discouraged that nothing had worked, I was overdue, sweltering and ornery... only to wake a 4 a.m. in labor.  YAY!

Jared's delivery was quick and I really have few memories of that very moment, but as soon as I saw his long, spikey, black, full head of hair, I was in love.  I have been in love ever since.

Jon immediately wanted to cut that hair.  In the hospital.  That very morning.  How dare he even suggest it?  The nurses too must have felt sorry for him because they brought him back from the nursery with a really bad comb over.  I preferred it sticking straight up.

That afternoon, as I was on the phone explaining how to spell Jared for the 3rd time to the Medical Records Department at the hospital, God touched me.  I was holding Jared and we were alone in the room.  I was standing beside the bed, against the window with a perfect, quiet, long haired baby human in my arms.  God sent His presence and I became overwhelmed with love... both for Jared and for the God that allowed me to be a mom.  It was a sweet moment and one I'll never forget.

Fast forward 14 years and he's still my guy.  He's my laid back, go with the flow, nothing ever causes him to speed up, moderate, kinda slow moving, never gets his feathers ruffled guy.  He's the master of one-liners (just like my Dad was) and making people laugh comes naturally for him... usually when he's being completely dead serious tho so he never quite understands why they are laughing.

Jared never seems to be upset or ornery.  His personality is such that everything happens for a reason and why get upset about it.  He takes things in stride and handles them well. He often reminds me of the same (even when I don't want to be reminded).

It's not easy to grow up and do right in this world, but Jared doesn't seem to compromise his faith and knows when not to cross the line.  I know God is close to him, helping him with that... but am thankful that Jared continues to want what is right and gets upset at what is wrong. I hope it continues now and forever. He speaks up for those less fortunate and speaks TO those fortunate ones who let everyone know just how fortunate they are (you know the kind).

I love you, Jared.  You're kind and compassionate and fun and funny.  You take a lot of grief being the middle child but always remember, God made you the middle child because He knows you've got this.  And Jared... I'm on your team.  Always.

Happy 14th birthday tomorrow.




My guy...


No comments:

Post a Comment