Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The paint brush...

I'm not a camper by nature.  I didn't grow up camping (unless you count the one time I went with my mom, dad and brother and it started to rain so we packed up the tent and went to a hotel... I'm thinking that tent MUST have had a hole in it but that part of the memory escapes me).  I'm not a very organized person but I do have a place for everything at home (hoping inside the house counts here because I can't claim that everything has it's spot and is always (or ever) where it should be).  But when we're camping, there isn't a place for anything it seems.  As many years as we have had the pop-up, I'm still trying to figure out how to organize it so I'm not driven to the brink of insanity by the question "where's the salt?"

Because of the above, we have had our share of spats while we're camping.  In fact, Jon might say I'm exaggerating a little when I say "our share".  He might, in fact, even say that we bicker every single day of every single camping trip every single year.  Yeah...

But I continue to try and don't argue with going for 2 simple reasons... #1 because it's cheap and we can only afford cheap... and #2 because Jon loves (adores, lives for, absolutely dreams about) camping and every part of camping and that love has rubbed off (immensely) on each of my children.

This year was different tho.  This year, God came camping with us.

Really, that might sound silly to you but to me it's the only explanation I can come up with as to why I didn't mind sweeping the floor 3 times a day with a paint brush. 

Did you hear that folks that I grew up with and would never have thought I would go camping, much less sweep the floor with a paint brush and not complain about it?

(Yes, I forgot the broom and yes, I was too cheap to buy another one when there was a perfectly good paint brush handy.)

God answered my prayers (and Jon's) and allowed me to settle in quickly, ignore the dirt and disorganization and actually............ here it comes......... ENJOY camping.  

What a lovely week we had.

 On the first day, we hiked up a mountain to swim in the waterfalls.

They jumped...

rode the waterfalls...

 hiked...

 rode the falls some more...

 and overall had a great time together.

That afternoon, we found bigger falls...

and explored more.

 This photo was snapped at the 2nd set of falls... it SO makes me smile.
Anyone who knows my boys, knows that this picture sums up their personalities perfectly. 
Photo-bombing at it's best (and truest).

We learned that Abby is part polar bear 
(she stayed in the water and ENJOYED the water far longer than the older boys were able...
 far longer than any normal human being could have stood the frigidness).  

Josh also loved the water and the falls.  
We couldn't get him out. 
Don't worry... he didn't turn purple once.

I spotted someone following us from a distance and snapping Josh's photo often. 
I finally had to say something as it was getting weird.  
She was so sweet... she said she was a professional photographer and was enjoying 
him so much as he enjoyed the water, the falls, the rocks.  
I asked him to 'pose' and here's the shot I took as she photographed him.  
I wish I had thought to get
her name/number... maybe he'll be famous one day (haha!).

That night, we sat around the camp fire and roasted
 (or burned because Josh isn't happy unless it's black) marshmallows...

 and ate marshmallows...


 talked...

(the black spots are not ashes from Josh's burnt marshmallows, we have camera lens issues)


 and laughed...

and laugh we did.

I typically dislike pictures of myself and do everything possible not to be in one.  When I first saw this one, I hated it.  Then I loved it.  I don't belly laugh often (can you say control freak who never lets her hair down?).  This picture is evidence that God came camping with us this year. 
 
 The next day (and rest of the week) brought more exploring...

a little (or a lot... even Abby jumped this year)
cliff jumping...



some fishing...
(of course... my boys don't go for long without fishing)...



new waterfalls...


 new ways to fish...

a bit of rock throwing...

 and just...

 a whole lot...

 of being silly...

 and having fun...


 enjoying God's beautiful handiwork...

and each other... 

a lot.


And as corny as this sounds...
it's all because...


2 people fell in love.


Feeling grateful, overwhelmed, humbled and so happy that God came with us this year.  I'm actually looking forward to next year (did I really just say that?).

Love, 
Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment