Monday, October 21, 2013

October, 2011 Down Syndrome Awareness Month... Day 2



The other kids...

When Josh was born, even just hours old, we were being told how fortunate he was to have older siblings. I didn't understand. How could THAT be fortunate? My 'poor' big kids was about all I could think about. I felt sorry for them (wow, I'm even ashamed to type that!).

Fast forward almost 9 years and yeah... he's fortunate. They are his biggest cheerleaders, his biggest fans and his best friends. 

But (there's always a but), THEY are the ones who are MOST fortunate... so blessed. While they are far from perfect, they know what it's like to struggle... they have compassion, understanding, empathy. Oh trust me, they fight like ALL siblings (Caleb & Josh are like oil & water most days), but when push comes to shove, I'm certain they would stand for what's right and root for the underdog BECAUSE of Josh.

This isn't a post that brags on my awesome kids (I'm their mom, I know what they are capable of, lol) it's a post to show how having someone like Josh in your life changes you, makes you better. We all could stand to be a little better... don't you think?

Love,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment