Monday, October 21, 2013

October, 2011 Down Syndrome Awareness... Day 28



Josh and Lily

We have met some pretty amazing people on this journey called Down Syndrome. We have met more doctors and nurses than you can imagine. Pediatric cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, pulmonologists, allergists, ENT's, GI's, ortho's... OH MY!! We have met speech therapists, oral motor therapists, physical therapists, occupational therapists and developmental therapists.  And we have met friends.  Great friends.

This post is about one of Josh's very special friends. She's special, like him, in that she carries a diagnosis of Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome). She's special, like him, in that she makes everyone around her smile. Her name is Lily.

Josh and Lily met before they even celebrated their first birthdays. They made a cute pair right from the very start. They attended preschool together and graduated preschool together. They now attend the same elementary school and continue to be quite the pair. 

Lily is one of the only people I know that can make Josh obey. It must be the way she says his name... with such authority and sharpness. Or maybe it's the way she claps her hands at him that makes him jump when she says jump. Whatever it is, Lily's found the key to getting his attention.

It's funny how God works things out because, not only do Josh and Lily need each other (and I do believe there is a need there... she's been out of school all week and I do believe that contributed to Josh's rough week!), I need her mom too.

Lisa is a fabulous advocate for her daughter and has the uncanny ability to remove emotions from her advocating. That's not to say she doesn't FEEL every emotion of the process... she feels them with a passion, which is what makes her so fabulous. I have learned so much from Lisa and I want to be as great an advocate (and mom!) as her when I grow up. I haven't learned how not to cry when I meet with the teachers yet, but she's still workin' on me.

(Note to Lisa: We have a long road ahead of us Lisa... but I'm really thankful I get to walk it with you (and Lily). She's beautiful and talented and funny and silly... she even shares my love of clothes and shoes... I'd be honored to have her as my daughter in law...... OH WAIT... I'm getting carried away... lol...)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment